Teaching and Assessing Literacy and Numeracy from Infants to 2nd Class using Khan Academy Kids.
The Khan Academy Kids app is 100% free with no ads, pop ups or subscriptions. Its content is directly linked to the curriculum. It will help you teach and assess literacy and numeracy in a fun, interactive, child friendly way.
This webinar will explore how you can attend to the wide variety of literacy and numeracy needs in your classroom. It will show how to tailor learning content to teach different ability groups at their level. It will explore how the app can assist teaching in a mixed class setting. It will also explore how Khan Kids can be used to assist learners who are struggling to access learning content from home.
What are the learning topics covered in Khan Academy Kids?
- Reading and literacy—knowledge of print, phonological awareness, alphabet knowledge, fiction and nonfiction books, spelling, early writing.
- Language—vocabulary, opposites, prepositions, common objects, verbs, adjectives, capitalisation, punctuation, sentence types.
- Math—counting, numbers, quantities, addition, subtraction, shapes, measuring, ordering, patterns, telling time, number lines, ten frames, place value.
- Social-emotional development—social relationships, emotional development and control, empathising, friendships.
- Executive function and logic—focus, self-control, working memory, flexible thinking, problem-solving.
- Motor and physical development—gross and fine motor development, safety, health, nutrition.
- Creative expression—drawing, storytelling, recording, self-expression, colouring.
The learning outcomes include:
- Set up your class on Khan Academy Kids.
- Search for lessons by curriculum strands and strand units.
- Create assignments to reinforce key skills that are being taught in class.
- Monitor student progress with in-depth reports
Tutor: Chloe Brennan
Chloe is a qualified primary school teacher, with a Masters in Education. She has 13 years of mainstream class, split-class and SET experience. She is an AP Post holder in her school with responsibility for Digital Learning and STEM. She has worked as the Cinnire Taighde on the Researchers in Residence Programme with the Teaching Council, researching the impact of Literacy Lift-Off. She is an Apple Learning Leader and has successfully embedded Khan Academy Kids in her school.
|Course Date||28-11-2023 7:00 pm|
|Course End Date||28-11-2023 8:00 pm|
|Speaker||Chloe Brennan for LESC Apple RTC|