Cyclone Rep - Ireland's leading Shakespeare Theatre in Education Company
To whom it may concern,
We are delighted to have been supported by the HSE and the National Lottery Good Causes to offer you The Bullying Prevention Circle film and accompanying resources.
The Bullying Prevention Circle is a documentary-style film that tells the fictional story* of a group of students comprised of Young Scientists and the Drama Club who collaborate on a project for their school's Anti-Bullying Week. However, unbeknownst to their teacher, there is friction between the groups due to ongoing bullying issues. The film documents the conflict and its resolution as the two teams resolve their differences to work together to help prevent bullying in their school.
Accompanying the film are two thirty-minute webinars that focus on what students can do to help prevent bullying. Below is a review of what is included in each webinar.
Webinar 1 includes:
- a discussion on what Bullying is and the 8 bullying sub-types,
- animations which feature the common types of bullying students experience and how they can feel about it,
- a review of activities that can help prevent bullying in the short and long term,
- a Bullying Prevention Brainstorm activity where students are asked to suggest and vote on actions to help prevent bullying in their school.
Webinar 2 includes:
- the roles students can play as Bystanders in the Bullying Circle,
- resilience building activities that focus on the creation of effective habits to realise personal goals and prevent bullying,
- animations look at how bystanders can help bullied and isolated students,
- and finishes with a review of student suggestions to prevent bullying in light of the lesson’s learning.
The Webinars are accompanied by two PDF handouts: a teacher resource handout and an informational handout for students about Bullying, the 8 types of bullying, The Bullying Circle and The Bullying Prevention Circle paradigms . The handouts are not needed to follow along with the webinars. However, the teacher resource handout can be used to go further in depth on material presented in the webinars. Furthermore, there are two quizzes on the last two pages to assess if students have been keeping up with the information presented.
Lastly, there is a version of the Bullying Prevention Circle film with commentary from the director, Dr. Peadar Donohoe. The commentary discusses the types of bullying demonstrated in the film, how bullying can affect people and an introduction to the most effective ways to help prevent bullying.
Cost: The cost of the film, webinar and resources is €500 per school for access on a per-term basis (either September-December or January-May). Once you make a booking, you will be sent a link to our Vimeo page along with a password to access the film and webinars. Resources will be forwarded via email.
Special Notice: Schools in designated HSE areas: CHO1, CHO 5 and CHO6 please contact Peadar Donohoe as your areas have received extra funding from the HSE to defray costs of this initiative.
If you would like to book and/or have any questions or, please do not hesitate to contact me at 086 3477 867 or email@example.com
Thanks very much
Dr. Peadar Donohoe
*Even though the Bullying Prevention Circle is a fictional documentary-style film, students might believe that it is true. If students are not made aware of this fact until after viewing the film, they might have a higher interest and involvement in the storyline. We leave it to your discretion.