Supporting Children with ASD who are Verbal in the classroom
This course is for teachers working with children and young people who have social communication needs including Autistic Spectrum Disorder (ASD). It is suitable for teachers working in mainstream, special schools and specialist units empowering them to develop the communication skills of children who need help to use their language within a social context. The course provides a great overview into good communication practice with those with ASD and has plenty of ‘hands on’ activities which help to apply the learning and makes the course very interactive. This summer course is designed to:
· support teachers and principals who work with pupils who are experiencing difficulties in social communication development
· provide teachers with the knowledge and strategies to develop the social communication skills of all children but especially those with ASD
· assist teachers to explore the processes of communication and the development of social and communication skills with their pupils within mainstream and special education settings.
· reflect on and evaluate a range of data collection tools and evidenced based language development strategies in relation to social communication development in the school context.
· explore a range of ICT to support individuals with Speech and language difficulties in the school setting.
Tutor: Fiona Woods & Kate Shinkwin
Fiona is a senior Speech and Language Therapist and has been working in Disability Services since 1988. She has been part of the ASD assessment Team since 2005. She completed the ELKLAN Training in 2014 and has delivered this training many times pre-covid.
Kate is a senior Speech and Language Therapist working on the Treehouse Team in St Gabriel’s Centre. She has 16 years experience working in the area of disability and currently works with children aged 0-9 years with a variety of communication and feeding needs. Kate has been an ELKLAN tutor since 2014.
Before you finalise payment for your course, please note the following:
All our summer courses are booked on the condition that the course fee is non-refundable. Course Fees are not transferrable to another teacher. Unfortunately, if you wish to cancel your place on one of our courses or you are unable to attend the course, we are not in a position to refund fees.
In the event that the minimum number of participants required do not apply then the Centre will be obliged to cancel the course, you may be offered a place on another course or given a refund.