Diversity and Inclusion in Schools
We all have strengths and talents. We all have something to bring to the table. We also have our own unconscious bias based on our upbringing, perceptions and life experiences. We all learn from each other. When people feel safe at school they can bring their best self to whatever they are doing. In our increasingly diverse and multicultural society, it’s more important than ever for teachers to incorporate culturally responsive instruction in the classroom.
This course will explore Diversity and Inclusion in a school and classroom context and give practical tips for how to strengthen.
The session will cover
- What is diversity and Inclusion (D&I)
- Introduction to the Diversity Wheel (Gender, LGBT, Abilities, Culture, Race, Age)
- The benefits of D&I
- Unconscious bias and the barriers to D&I
- The costs of not having D&I
- Bringing it all together
- Have an understanding of D&I
- Understanding of how to strengthen D&I in the classroom and school
- Have an understanding of Unconscious bias and how it plays out
- Understanding of the benefits of D&I
Presenter: Calodagh McCumiskey
Calodagh is an accredited master practitioner in Wellbeing. She delivers wellbeing programmes to Corporates, Public Sector Bodies and the Education Sector. Clients include Danone, the IRFU, Bank of Ireland, the INMO, Press Up Entertainment and Wexford and Limerick Education Centres. She writes a weekly article on wellbeing for Independent News and Media regional publications.