NOTE: This course is being presented by Mary Immaculate College and Limerick Education Centre. Venue location will be a mix between both and will be confirmed nearer the time.
AIMS OF THE COURSE
· Inspire and guide effective practices in STEAM education, through the delivery of interdisciplinary and transdisciplinary STEAM teaching and learning pedagogies.
· Stimulate imagination, creativity, and breakthrough innovation in STEM learning.
· Develop teachers' knowledge, understanding and confidence to teach a transdisciplinary approach to STEAM education, breaking down the traditional barriers between the different disciplines of Science, Technology. Engineering, Art and Mathematics.
· Identify Numeracy Teaching and Learning Opportunities in STEAM Education.
· Promote innovation and excellence in teaching of numeracy in the contemporary practical settings of STEAM education that incorporate the Engineering Design Process.
· Develop an understanding of how to interweave the teaching for robust understanding and meta-practices in mathematics in schools, through STEAM education.
Practical hands-on investigations and group work, Discussion and reflection opportunities, STEAM Project work, Engineering design challenges, Design Thinking challenges, Practical “Learn by Doing” tasks, Video and Tutor-led presentations.
Discussions facilitated by participants and tutor, brainstorming, paper-based/digital journaling opportunity provided, STEAM frameworks, Subject planning and STEAM schemes of work, presentations of work.
All learning methodologies will include the following STEAM Practices with a particular emphasis on Numeracy skills:
· Asking Questions & Defining Problems.
· Making Observations.
· Looking for Patterns.
· Problem Solving.
· Critical Thinking.
· Planning & Carrying Out Investigations.
· Constructing Explanations & Designing Solutions.
· Developing Possible Solutions.
· Data Collection.
· Optimizing the Design Solution.
· Developing & Using Models.
· Spatial Awareness.
· Drawing for Design.
· Communicating & Expression.
· Engaging in Argument from Evidence.
· Integrating & Connecting.
· Understanding & Recalling.
The summer course will provide an opportunity to equip teachers to develop student’s numeracy skills as outlined in the Literacy and Numeracy for Learning and Life strategy, Stem Education Policy Statement 2017-2026, the National Skills Strategy 2025 and STEAM skills linked to the Creative Schools initiative.
Facilitator: Maeve Liston
Before you finalise payment for your course, please note the following:
All our summer courses are booked on the condition that the course fee is non-refundable. Course Fees are not transferrable to another teacher. Unfortunately, if you wish to cancel your place on one of our courses or you are unable to attend the course, we are not in a position to refund fees.
In the event that the minimum number of participants required do not apply then the Centre will be obliged to cancel the course and all monies will be refunded in full.
If you are not receiving email notifications regarding course bookings etc you may have unsubscribed from transactional emails. Please re-subscribe here Resubscribe and fix my email notifications (You will not be added to any newsletters or marketing.)
Monday to Friday
8:30am – 5:00pm
Saturdays - Available upon request
(13 June until 26 August 2022)
9:00am - 4:00pm