This is a collaboration between Clare Education Centre, Limerick Education Centre and the Clare Limerick branch of the IMTA (Irish Maths Teachers Association).
Target audience: Teachers of Leaving Certificate Higher Level Maths.
Financial Maths – 4 Classes, 1 hour each
Note: Typed notes and instructional videos with worked solutions to exam questions will be provided as part of the course material
Class 1: Thursdays, 21st January 2021 @ 7p.m.
- Present Value and Future Value
- The Compound Interest Formula
- Using Logs to Solve for t in Compound Interest Formula
- Terminology – APR/EAR/AER/CAR/Annuities/Amortisation/Mortgages/Pensions/Bonds
- Link between Compound Interest Formula and Inverse Functions
Class 2: Thursdays 28th January 2021 @ 7p.m.
- Savings and Geometric Series
- Converting Interest Rate from Annual to Monthly/Weekly Rate
- Exam Questions on Savings
Class 3: Thursdays 4th February 2021 @ 7p.m.
- Loans and Geometric Series
- Amortisation Formula
- Exam Questions on Loans and Amortisation Formula
Class 4: Thursdays, 11th February 2021 @ 7p.m.
- Exam Questions on Pensions
- Be able to manipulate the compound interest formula
- Be able to convert from annual interest rate to monthly/weekly rate
- Be able to work out questions involving savings/annuities
- Be able to work out questions involving loans/amortisation
- Be able to prove the amortisation formula
- Be able to work out questions involving pension plans / bonds / depreciation
- Be able to distinguish between the different types of exam question
- Be able to use new techniques and resources for teaching financial maths at leaving cert honours level
Please book your place through Clare Education Centre website by clicking here